Tips to Prevent Holiday Hospital Visits

By: Jamie Jordan – 

The holidays are great for people but create an abundance of dangers for our pets. Here are some of the most common reasons your pets could land in the hospital this holiday season:

Chocolate tops our list because it often gets wrapped and placed in easily accessible places for your pets to get into. Assorted chocolates and fruit cakes can contain raisins which are toxic to your pets. Some treats even include peanut butter which may contain xylitol (an artificial sweetener also found in gum)  that is very toxic when ingested.

Foods with a high fat content like those holiday meats usually placed in gift baskets can cause your pet to develop pancreatitis, which requires hospital treatment. Many holiday meals will include onions for flavor and they are also toxic to animals when ingested. Potpourri, plug-ins, and essential oils can all end in a hospital visit if accidentally ingested. Candles can be a fire hazard if left unattended with pets. Tree additives and poinsettias can cause some gastrointestinal distress if your pet were to eat them.

Ornaments and tinsel don’t pass through the system well and may end up in a foreign  body surgery. Medications are a concern as flu season and visiting company tend to increase the risk of your pet being exposed to them. Lastly, alcohol is absorbed rather quickly in animals so keeping them away from idle cocktails is always wise.

Ardmore Companion Animal Hospital
25547 Main Street
Ardmore,TN 38449
Phone: (931) 427-8383